News

Kosovo Prosecutor Resigns After Alleged Threats

August 15, 201815:56
A special prosecutor who was dealing with sensitive cases involving terrorism charges and Kosovo Liberation Army war veterans has resigned after allegedly being threatened.
 
 Prosecutor Elez Blakaj. Photo: BIRN.

The unexpected resignation after alleged threats of Elez Blakaj, a special prosecutor who was investigating the abuse of Kosovo Liberation Army war veterans’ lists, sparked consternation in Kosovo on Wednesday.

Blakaj worked for the Kosovo Special Prosecution on several sensitive cases, and State Prosecutor Aleksander Lumezi confirmed that he had been the subject of intimidation “while he was investigating the case about KLA war veterans”.

Lumezi said that police were investigating the alleged threat.

He also said that Blakaj allegedly received threats on Facebook because of his work investigating cases related to terrorism.

A message that said “Condemn criminals, not imams” pushed Blakaj to ask for police protection for his children on their way to school and back, according to Lumezi.

Justice Minister Abelard Tahiri expressed concern about the resignation.

“It is unacceptable for a state prosecutor to come under pressure from threats and chose resignation as an alternative,” Tahiri said.

The US ambassador to Kosovo, Greg Delawie, wrote on Twitter that it was a “sad day for rule of law in Kosovo”.

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci also condemned the alleged threats that caused the prosecutor to quit.

“The rule of law is the foundation of a democratic state and society and one of the most important links in strengthening the European perspective of our country,” Thaci wrote on Facebook.

The verification as war veterans of former Kosovo Liberation Army fighters – a status which gives access to benefit payments – was controversial process that took several years.

Allegations have been made that the final list of veterans has more names on it than there were KLA fighters during the conflict with Serbian forces.

In April this year, prosecutors charged three people with fraud and falsifying documents to gain KLA war veteran status.

Read more:

Kosovo Probes Dubious KLA Veterans’ List

Kosovo Charges Three with Faking War Veterans’ Documents


Copyright BIRN 2015 | Terms of use | Privacy Policy


This website was created and maintained with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of BIRN and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.