News

EULEX Policeman Shot Dead in North Kosovo

September 19, 201310:41
A policeman from the EU rule of law mission has been killed near Zvecan, in Serb-run north Kosovo, while two others have been injured.

The EULEX officer was shot dead in Zvecan on Thursday when two vehicles carrying six officers were showered with gunfire at around 7:30am.

A murder investigation is underwayno effort will be spared in bringing the perpetrator to justice,” EULEX said in a statement.

Media reports in Belgrade and Pristina said two other police officers were injured.

Beta news agency said the policeman was shot in the head and stomach. The other wounded policemen have reportedly been hospitalised in nearby Mitrovica.

Immediately after the shooting, EULEX police cordoned off the area with members of KFOR. Reports said that shell casings left behind by the killers had been recovered.

According to Lithuanian media, the EULEX officer was 35-year-old Audrius Senavicius Klaipeda, who served in the EU rule of law mission in Kosovo since August 2012.

European and local officials in Pristina harshly condemned the attack, urging security mechanisms to bring perpetrators to justice.

The EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, “extended deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

“I condemn in the strongest possible terms the attack that led to the death of the staff member. The perpetrators must be brought to justice,“ she said in a statement.

“I appeal to all parties to redouble their efforts to implement the agreements reached, to normalise relations and to improve the lives of the people on the ground in northern Kosovo,“ Ashton added.

Bernd Borchardt, EULEX chief, said he was “very deeply shocked by the nature of the murder.

“There is a mixed investigation ongoing [EULEX and Kosovo Police]. I also very much appreciate further assistance from police colleagues and the political side in Belgrade. I can ensure you that no effort will be spared bringing the perpetrators to justice,” he underlined.

The attack occurred as Kosovo is planning to hold local elections throughout the country on November 3. These elections are the first elections organized by the Kosovo authorities which will be held in the Serb-run north of the country.

The last local elections in Kosovo were held in November 2009, but the vote was boycotted in the northern municipalities, where local leaders were elected in a separate vote organised by Serbia.

Samuel Zbogar, head of the EU Office in Pristina, said: “It is obvious from such an attack that there are still interests that don’t want the situation in the north of Kosovo to be normalized and the situation in Kosovo to normalize.

“Those who plan and execute such a coward attack should be warned that we are strengthened in our determination to continue our engagement with Kosovo in its dialogue with Serbia and that we are determined to continue to bring normal life to people in Kosovo,” he said.

Atifete Jahjaga, the President of Kosovo,  called the murder “an attack on the values of the Kosovo state”, and urged relevant institutions to bring perpetrators to justice.

“We urge the rule of law and security institutions to shed light into this issue as soon as possible and to take all necessary means so the perpetrators can be brought to justice,” Jahjaga said in a press release.

Hashim Thaci, the Prime Minister of Kosovo, described the attack as “a cowardly act” and stressed that the government will continue cooperation with the rule of law mission in order to ensure a secure a safe environment.

“The government in cooperation with EULEX, KFOR and other international partners is determined to fulfill its constitutional and legal obligations in strengthening the rule of law throughout the whole territory of Kosovo, especially in the northern part of the country”, Thaci said.